Friday 29 January 2021
Would you like to reduce your impact on the environment? Start by setting yourself some sustainable resolutions, start slow and steady and set monthly goals or choose a different lifestyle choice every month.
Here are some ideas to help you make the world a better place.
- Switch to a plant-based diet - start by cooking yourself a meat free meal once a week to lower your environmental impact.
- Switch to reusable bags - take your own reusable bag not only to the supermarket but to every shop.
- Commit to not using any disposable single use cups or bottles - invest in a reusable cup or bottle and look out for local businesses who will let you fill up your water bottle for free via the app at www.refill.org.uk
- Try to stop driving everywhere - use a bike or walk, it is healthier for you and better for the planet.
- Volunteer your time or become a Climate Change Champion, you can write blogs, raise awareness and help your local community work towards making the area more environmentally friendly.
- Invest in energy-efficient appliances and help reduce your energy bill - switch to LED lighting, get a water-saving showerhead, get a smart thermometer or switch to a green energy tariff.
- Turn your thermostat down - by turning your central heating thermostat down by one degree you could save money and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Get an energy audit - they tell you how much energy your home is losing and provide solutions.
- Become plastic free - make it your goal to at least reduce your use of single use plastic and ditch the disposable straw, bag, cutlery and food container. Reduce single use packaging and buy loose items.
- Repurpose glass jars.
- Buy bigger bottles less often and use refill options instead of continuously buying single use bottles.
- Shop local, seasonally and only buy what you need.
- Reduce your food waste by planning your meals, freezing food and cooking with leftovers.
- Recycle your plastic, cardboard and food waste correctly.
- Grown your own herbs and vegetables.
- Start composting.
- Learn how to mend and upcycle items.
- Commit to buying reused, recycled and sustainably sourced items.
- Go paper free - only print the items you really need in both the office and at home.
- Wear something already in your wardrobe, clothes swap or buy second hand to help reduce global emissions from textile production.
We can all sign up to make a difference and take small steps to make a big impact.
We would love to hear from you! If you would like to share your hints and tips email us at firstname.lastname@example.org